What is melon?
- an interactive online museum in four rooms on the e-learning platform ILIAS based on the information provided by the Online Companion to Middle English Literature,
- offering various kinds of audio and video clips, slide shows, podcasts, and flash animations,
- an elaborate system of self-testing and recursive elements are integrated,
- course members communicate via blogs, wikis, Skype etc.
What is melon good for?
- MELON organizes the learners’ progress by exemplary tours through a virtual museum,
- it re-organizes the learners’ knowledge acquired by OCMEL studies and offers various kinds of self-test formats,
- provides groups of learners with all kinds of modern communication.
What is OCMEL?
- the Online Companion to Middle English Literature was originally produced as an Asymetrix Multimedia Toolbook by a group of students and teachers in 1997 and revised as a HTML Version in 2002,
- it offers a more or less complete survey over Middle English literature organized according to authors, genres, history and special topics,
- self-testing modules and guided tours were planned, but have never been implemented,
- thus, the OCMEL has remained a valuable online work of reference, but lacks didactic organization,
- the new MELON module now partly makes up for these deficiencies.